Sharon Cuneta: "Thank God for giving us Willy Cruz's music."


Posted on Sharon Cuneta's Facebook page, April 24, 2017

I want to say, "I feel better." Well, I do...but not much. I had TOTALLY NO IDEA it would hurt this much, losing Willy. I don't cry all the time now. But I still cry often, which is to say I really am far from being back to my old self.

People grieve in many different ways. Perhaps this is mine.

I keep his music around me more often than not nowadays. But music that he -- and mostly songs he asked his usual best-friend and writing partner, my dear lifelong friend Ate Baby Gil -- to write lyrics to not for me but for many other singers whose careers were blessed by his music as well.


Right now, it is "Kapag Puso'y Sinugatan." What a beautiful, beautiful song. Sometimes it is "Kahit Na." Or "Mahawi Man and Ulap." "Init sa Magdamag" (even if it includes my 17-year-old-thrilled-self singing with the great Nonoy Zuniga), "Never Say Goodbye..."


Such a treasure-trove of musical pieces that thankfully seem to never run out.

I don't even know why I am typing this on FB and not writing it on my long-neglected journal. I guess posting it is my way of reminding everyone of how much I respect and adore and treasure Willy. How much I love him and always will. And that NONE OF US -- NONE -- has the right to forget what this man has contributed to the country's catalog of musical masterpieces that by God's grace shall bless so many other singers, songwriters, composers, musicians...

I have already made it my personal mission to keep his songs alive, in my own little way. In EVERY way I am able to.

Thank God for giving us Willy Cruz's music.


So many great composers and songwriters. Not all as good a man as he was. Or as loved as a friend.





Be my genie! Grant my wish(es), please? See my list. Click on this.

Comments

Popular Posts